Starbucks launches olive oil coffee drinks in Italy - Heading to the UK later this year.

Posted 22nd Feb 2023
As i read that headline, i wasn't sure what to think. A big pour of Olive oil into the coffee, or something on the side.... but no, they're oil-infused and steamed with oat-milk. Personally not 'my thing' but maybe if you're heading over to Italy, sometime soon, maybe it can be on on to try or you can wait until they hit the UK later this year.

Italy has always been a special place for Starbucks. It was four decades ago that Howard Schultz first walked the cobblestone streets of Milan, Italy and experienced the romance of its espresso bars. That visit spurred him to bring the Italian coffeehouse experience to Starbucks and to America, which would grow from just 11 stores to more than 36,000, serving millions of handcrafted beverages each day around the world.

4091065-bGrAi.jpg
Now Schultz and Starbucks have found inspiration in Italy again, this time in the sun-kissed olive groves of Sicily with the introduction of a new line of beverages, Oleato, Starbucks coffee infused with Partanna extra virgin olive oil. The new beverages are making their debut tomorrow (Feb. 22) at the Starbucks Reserve Roastery Milan and in Starbucks stores in Italy, followed by Southern California in the United States this spring. Later this year select markets in Japan, the Middle East, and the United Kingdom will launch the beverages. The five Oleato™ beverages served at the Milan Roastery are Oleato™ Caffé Latte, Oleato™ Iced Cortado, Oleato™ Golden Foam™ Cold Brew, Oleato™ Deconstructed and Oleato™ Golden Foam™ Espresso Martini. Starbucks stores in Italy will offer Oleato™ Caffè Latte, Oleato™ Iced Shaken Espresso and Oleato™ Golden Foam™ Cold Brew.

4091065-jiKpY.jpg

Schultz, currently in Milan for the launch of Oleato, noted how his journey with Starbucks has come full circle with the two milestone moments, one toward the beginning of his career at Starbucks and the other as he is about to step down next month after serving for the last 10 months as Starbucks interim chief executive officer.

“In 1983, I took my first trip to Italy and discovered the extraordinary relationship that the Italian people have with the Italian coffee bar, and specifically espresso. I raced back to the United States with a vision and a passion to bring that to Starbucks,” Schultz said.

You can read the full article here
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    lemonade
    I thought it would be used with a plant oil! (oil is used in plant oils but obviously cow or animal milks tend to come with it already in there).
    Not really seeing this as anything more than a gimmick, and unless they're charging extra for it (you wait, it'll be 50p-£1 more per "special" coffee. It will die out as soon as it arrives, no one is up for this after the novetly has worn off, it's unlikely to taste any different and lets face it, if taste of quality coffee is where you're at, you're not going to be looking to visit Starbucks for your fix!
    trevordavies0629
    Weird, I thought Italy was the most high profile country that it never launched in.
    Edit:
    They were scared, but did it eventually using the "roastery" format which basically means raising their game.

forbes.com/sit…ly/ (edited)
    ataxic
    I have bullet proof coffee now and then, teaspoon of coconut oil, butter and some double cream whizzed in a smoothie maker, lovely stuff. I wonder how this is done.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants