Work VPN on hotel wifi

Posted 29th Jan 2023
hello, a lot of people talk about vpns to mask their data when doing something they shouldn't be. I use a VPN to connect to my work network. if I'm in a hotel on their WiFi will my data be secure via the VPN moreso then just being on hotel wifi or will it make no difference (i.e. is a work VPN very different to the web services of the same name)?
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Same name, same thing. Your "work VPN" puts you on your work's network, same as if you were physically there. Likely, they will monitor and filter traffic for their security (and safeguarding).

VPNs consumers use - same principle just using the 'work network' of a VPN provider. They will also monitor (and to a lesser extent filter) traffic. Paramount to choose a provider who you trust, not any 'random'. (edited)
    Not sure that implying work and domestic VPNs do the same monitoring quite captures the whole truth. Work needs to protect their data and their systems. Domestic is you wanting to protect you privacy from nosey parker and data or perhaps mask your origin to access online services or perhaps mask your activities full stop.

A VPN reseller has a very real interest in monitoring what you are doing both to protect themselves from accusations of harbouring terrorists etc and even more so to monetise you as a wallet.

Have you ever read the Ts&Cs of a VPN provider? Skip to Privacy and What we do with Your Data. They know exactly who you are and what you are doing.and they have to log it by law if you are a UK domiciled buyer using a UK bank account or credit card. Please don't think you are successfully hiding yourself with complete anonymity.
    Your work IS team will most likely have access to a log of every IP address/website you connect to which they probably share with managers. They may also have subscribed to a pre determined list of sites that will not connect such as gambling, far right, pron etc.
    Far right??? What
Discussions
Top Merchants