Best way to record the football

Posted 21st Jul 2023
Morning all,

New football season coming up and i now work later shifts meaning i will be missing the evening football. I really want to be able to record and relax and watch when i get home but struggling to find a resonably priced option

BT TV i can not get as i have gigaclear 1gb internet and seems you can only use BT broadband with it and Sky the only way to record shows is with sky Q and a £89pm cost just to watch in HD with a dish stuck to the side of my house which i would prefer not to have. Sky glass and stream dont record it seems

Any other options im missing?
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The2Time
    I used to record football when i was with Virgin and had the top package. I was paying about £65 a month as a new virgin media customer when I had it. Included 1gb BB, sky sports, bt sport 4k, unlimited o2 data sim.

If you already have broadband with someone else though I guess your hands are a bit tied. (edited)
    KodaBear
    There are only three options for recording premium TV channels:

BT TV Pro (Requires BT Internet)
    Virgin TV 360 (Requires Virgin Media internet for new customers)
    Sky Q (Requires dish, and is expensive)

All other services rely on streaming and won't allow recording.

So if you don't want Sky, I think the only option will be to ditch your current ISP and move to BT or Virgin Media and take their TV.
    Anonymous User
    Some of those options would maybe involve moving house as well.

We're 12 or 13 miles away from Virgin's cable network for example.
    TinplateGeek
    BT Sport is no more and is now TNT Sport and available directly on Discovery Plus for £29.99 a month (in addition to BT). So you don't need a BT broadband package any more.
    However for people with BT Broadband, you should be able to get this package cheaper via BT.

The content you get is summarised by Discovery plus as:
    • Exclusive discovery+ Originals
    • Discovery, TLC, Quest, Really & more
    • Live Eurosport; Cycling, Tennis, Snooker, Motorsports & more
    • All cycling Grand Tours, Australian Open & Roland-Garros Tennis, Olympic Games Paris 2024 & more from Eurosport
    • Premier League & exclusive UEFA Champions League
    • Premiership Rugby, MotoGP, Boxing, UFC, WWE & more

Edit: On Discovery Plus you can watch the replays so it isn't recorded as such but you still have access to a replay. (edited)
    sm9690
    BT TV you can get the box off cex for like £80 and plug in to the aerial and record freeview channels. I have this with hyperoptic.

What channel are they on?
    esssexlad Author
    Looked it up and says you need to connect it to a BT hub :/ i want to join BT sport and sky sports and need to be able to record the games ill be at work and miss

Thanks
    TristanDeCoonha
    If you have a Shield, and once you can find a supplier, IPTV or other, you could look at a Cloner Alliance Pro.
    Bit of an expense to start, but all the kit is yours, and can be used elsewhere, and again
    The2Time
    Or find a supplier that offer catchup on the sports channels.
    King65
    If I don't watch the match live I watch Sky/BT highlights of matches I am interested in on YouTube which are shown not long after the match finishes and it is free too.
    samosa
    Never subscribed and relied on MOTD for years.
    rofiquel
    Sky Stream doesn’t need recordings as everything is available on-demand.

Still expensive though.
    esssexlad Author
    not the live football tho apparently ( from the sky forums ) can take over a day for games to be added
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants