British Gas installing SMETS1 in 2023? Not happy

Posted 12th Jul 2023
I finally took up British Gas on their smart meter as they booked an appointment without asking.

Installed April 2023 (gas and electric) only for the installer to take away the monitoring device for inside as he said I wasn't set up on the national database. He set a return date for 28 days later but never showed up and after countless webchats with agents telling me I don't have a smart meter etc I have now been told that I was given SMETS1 and that it isn't compatible etc and I cannot have a monitor.

Anybody else had similar rubbish experience?

I now believe that moving suppliers will still see me shafted as they won't update Gen1 to Gen2

Oddly, this guide shows the same meters that I have which are meant to be SMETS2 : edfenergy.com/sit…pdf

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    HappyShopper
    I could write a book about my awful BG experiences and their sheer incompetence.

Examples of their incompetence:

BG Homecare on boiler - annual service done in March - a few months later get a reminder letter that the annual service is overdue and to contact them to arrange - don't bother calling them and subsequently get another couple of reminder letters - eventually call them to query why I'm getting reminder letters when the annual service has been done for the year - they look into it and confirm they have a record of the annual service being done in March but can't tell me why I was being sent reminder letters - a complete waste of everyone's time

BG Homecare on boiler - slight leak - engineer called out - admittedly a very old boiler with replacement parts now hard to get - luckily, minor issue not requiring any parts - engineer spent most of the visit trying to instill fear in order to generate a lead for the BG sales team to call to arrange a quote for a replacement boiler - got visibly upset when I consistently declined

BG Homecare on oven - issue with grill element - appointment booked - engineer came, examined, ordered part and advised would be back the following week to install once part comes in - got text updates throughout - for some inexplicable reason, BG started to send the text updates to an old mobile number which, luckily, was still active - called to query why this was - they checked my account and could see no record of the old mobile number and so couldn't explain why this was happening - again, complete waste of time

BG Gas/Electric - have smart meters - stopped working over lockdown - had to literally fight with them over several phone calls to get them replaced - again, a complete waste of time

BG Gas/Electric - Funny, that they are now estimating my readings even though we have smart meters - funny that the estimations started to happen when tariffs were changing - a quick inspection showed they are underestimating the reading at the older lower tariff and over estimating at the newer higher reading - building up the will to call them about this

Gonna raise this complaint and the finally ditch these charlatans.

IAmATeaf
    Forgot to add that our smets1 meters were upgraded by Octopus, kept telling me that they would replace then and then out of the blue I got a message to say good news, we’ve upgraded them, they can now get instant meter readings and I’ve now been out onto their tracker package.
    bluetang
    Why exactly are people having smart meters? They may be useful for a few people who cannot read their meter and send a reading each month but I don't see what gain there is to the customer is to have one. (edited)
    PS5 Author
    Providers like Octopus will give you reduced rates (e.g. half price) at certain off-peak hours. IT is the future. You cannot have that luxury with old school.
    Then there is the obvious benefit of knowing exactly what is costing you money (e.g. I wanted to know how much my air con, hot tub etc was costing me).
    yorkie12
    Think your self lucky. The house we moved into last November has a 'Radio' type Economy 7 meter, think the radio bit just sets the time as I still have to give meter reads. Off grid for gas, EDF for electric. In December I found out I was being ripped off with the Day and Night rate tariff as we don't have electric heating and use very little electricity over night. Took about a month of phone calls and chats but finally got on standard tariff , saving about 25%. I'd love to dump the old meter and have a smart one and EDF would love to install one apparently, as they send me emails and texts asking me to make an appointment every week. When I try they always say they are full. Eventually I was promised a call to make an appointment for an install. A few days later I got the call , went through all the rigmarole of answering questions on access ,etc. then the lady delved into the appointments system and there were none. Now swapping to Octopus , a nightmare because of the meter their online system would only give me economy 7 tariff, sorted now though. Next hurdle will be to get Octopus to install a smart meter. (edited)
    King65
    I recently changed to Octopus and all the smart meter appointments online were fully booked up until last week when I was able to book a SM appointment for 10 August that was the earliest they had. You can also go on their Priority Register which I have also done so they will contact you if they have any SM cancellations in your area.
    TristanDeCoonha
    They can update 1 to 2. I have had it done, and arranged it for my father. Both were done by Octopus within 4 weeks of request. Something that apparently could not be done within the 5 years of being with Outfox.
    Switch over for better service and prices, and the bonus of £50 free credit if you join via a referral
    PS5 Author
    the agent cut me off... onto my 6th agent in the past 3 weeks. This guy has just told me that my gas isn't even set up (I honestly cannot believe the gross incompetence - every agent gives a different story).
    Appreciate it, I will give my backdated reading for June 30th and then bail.

This guy has just sent me a link to register my interest in a smart meter as it is the only way apparently..despite them only doing this already in April (edited)
    IAmATeaf
    They still send me text messages even though I left them some 20 years ago. Tried ringing them up once only to be told that I don’t have services with them, well yes so stop sending me text messages! But this couldn’t be done as I didn’t have an account with them!
    djandy_2001
    So this is the reason why we are paying such high standing charges
    rimalpatel007
    During every call and the odd emails i get notified for a smart meter and the answer will always be NO for the obvious reason.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants