Economy 7 meter clock reading ?

Posted 14th Jan 2015
Hi ,

Wonder if anyone can help me. I have just moved into an electric only flat with economy 7 meter. Have noticed just the high rate moves and not the low rate on the meter even if I put on my heating, washing and water at night. I had a look at the meter and I think the clock is wrong . Have attached pictures, can anyone tell me what time the meter is reading. I took these pictures around 00:15. I assume the pointer at the bottom is how you tell the meter time which is current on 15:00 however am not sure any help will go a long way.

Many thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    fanexgal Author
    how do i post pictures?
    stefromuk
    does it not depend on which tariff you are on and if that supports economy 7??
    fanexgal Author
    yes am on an economy 7 tariff
    fanexgal Author
    24120268-7WOXB

24120268-bdZvQ
    robertsclark
    Economy 7 just means that you are on a cheap rate for seven hours overnight. On my metre it is set at 22:30 to 00:30 and then 02:30 to 07:30. I was told these times when it was installed, but there is nothing written on the metre.
    Contact your electricity supplier - they should be able to advise what your times are.
    Anonymous User
    robertsclark

Economy 7 just means that you are on a cheap rate for seven hours … Economy 7 just means that you are on a cheap rate for seven hours overnight. On my metre it is set at 22:30 to 00:30 and then 02:30 to 07:30. I was told these times when it was installed, but there is nothing written on the metre.Contact your electricity supplier - they should be able to advise what your times are.

It is fairly obvious in the photo what the times are, or should be.

The OP is asking if the timer clock is actually working.

If the centre dial does not move, it isn't working a will require replacement or attention.

It may have been disconnected of course, so the OP needs to check with their supplier if they are in fact on an Economy 7 tariff.
    fergiewilson
    You might need an electrician to fix it. We moved to an all electric house last year and had to get an electrician to come out and do something to wiring at the box so that when we have cheap rate everything runs on the cheap rate when it comes on. It only cost us £30 and now the cheap rate clocks up too.
    Anonymous User
    fergiewilson

You might need an electrician to fix it. We moved to an all electric … You might need an electrician to fix it. We moved to an all electric house last year and had to get an electrician to come out and do something to wiring at the box so that when we have cheap rate everything runs on the cheap rate when it comes on. It only cost us £30 and now the cheap rate clocks up too.

A normal " electrician " is not allowed to tamper with any meters, they are the property of the electricity supply company.

The OP needs to contact their energy suppliers.
    fanexgal Author
    Inactive

It is fairly obvious in the photo what the times are, or should be.The OP … It is fairly obvious in the photo what the times are, or should be.The OP is asking if the timer clock is actually working.If the centre dial does not move, it isn't working a will require replacement or attention.It may have been disconnected of course, so the OP needs to check with their supplier if they are in fact on an Economy 7 tariff.

thanks for the response the dial does work as the time moves , i took a picture at a different time and the pointer was on 12:15. so i the meter clock is incorrect .
    i will contact my supplier, am changing to a standard rate in 3 weeks anyways not sure if they can do much to fix it before then . the day rate is really high so will see what they say .
    vikki78vicky
    My economy 7 is 11.30pm till 6.30. In the winter. In the summer it's 12.30 till 7.30. ( I think I have that right). So could that be a reason.
    fanexgal Author

hi

vikki78vicky

My economy 7 is 11.30pm till 6.30. In the winter. In the summer it's … My economy 7 is 11.30pm till 6.30. In the winter. In the summer it's 12.30 till 7.30. ( I think I have that right). So could that be a reason.

i read up on that but i dont think is the case

my main question is the silver pointer at the bottom , does that point to the actual time ?
    philphil61
    It looks like an old meter and only has one timer and by the looks of it you might need to contact your energy provider to upgrade the fuse rating. 80amps IMHO is insufficient in a normal house with E7 heating. Several years ago mine was uprated to 120amps.

Also I have a digital timer but it works by switching the metering by time - some E7 meters will have 2 different meters. Basically I get the same power feed coming into the home but digitally the meter switches over at the set time.

Does your bill come with 2 seperate rates?
    Talk to your energy supplier to get answers then if it's not Eon - call Eon about their v14 tariff
    philphil61
    vikki78vicky

My economy 7 is 11.30pm till 6.30. In the winter. In the summer it's … My economy 7 is 11.30pm till 6.30. In the winter. In the summer it's 12.30 till 7.30. ( I think I have that right). So could that be a reason.

Each supplier has a different E7 switchover

customerservices.npower.com/app…%3F
    fanexgal Author
    philphil61

It looks like an old meter and only has one timer and by the looks of it … It looks like an old meter and only has one timer and by the looks of it you might need to contact your energy provider to upgrade the fuse rating. 80amps IMHO is insufficient in a normal house with E7 heating. Several years ago mine was uprated to 120amps.Also I have a digital timer but it works by switching the metering by time - some E7 meters will have 2 different meters. Basically I get the same power feed coming into the home but digitally the meter switches over at the set time.Does your bill come with 2 seperate rates? Talk to your energy supplier to get answers then if it's not Eon - call Eon about their v14 tariff

yes i have two rates on my bill, a day and a night one .
    e7 doesnt benefit me as i dont have storage heaters but electric panel heaters and an electric immersion tank that i switch on for about an hour a day . so have decided to go on the standard rate a i use most of my electricity in the day time .

what is 80amps IMHO ?
    ricko
    The picture indicates the time clock and is not a meter . These are the old clocks . I had to get mine changed to a new digital one as it would slow down and end up 6 hours behind . My bills were £300 plus . The supplier at the time Npower didn't want to know and said I had to get my night storage heaters checked . I switched supplier and they changed to a new meter .
    philphil61
    fanexgal

yes i have two rates on my bill, a day and a night one . e7 doesnt … yes i have two rates on my bill, a day and a night one . e7 doesnt benefit me as i dont have storage heaters but electric panel heaters and an electric immersion tank that i switch on for about an hour a day . so have decided to go on the standard rate a i use most of my electricity in the day time .what is 80amps IMHO ?

80amps is the total amps coming into your home
    your cooker will use upto 30amp
    an 8kw shower will use 34amps (approx)
    then there is your heating
    then your general lighting other electrical goods (tv's etc)
    then you switch on your kettle and......................................................booooomb - blown fuse or potentially over heating the wiring

Sorry - I am not here to frighten you (or anyone else) - I have no actual electrical training except military trade training (ex Signals) and DIY / common sense skills learned over many years. I take in information and retain most...sadly! But given the basic experience/knowledge I am concerned and suggest you just challenge your energy provider with the questions

1 - is my current meter "up to scratch" / safe ?
    2 - is my current 80amp sufficient for my home / energy consumption?

If a "sparky" does turn up to check all - maybe you can sweet talk them into testing/checking your wiring for a "backhander"

In regards to your E7 / heating / energy consumption - that would be down to your personal choice and your energy consumption - only by knowing what you have/use electrically and when you use it and your existing annual bills - will anybody be able to calculate which energy tariff is best suited.
    (edited)
    fanexgal Author

ok, thats scar

philphil61

80amps is the total amps coming into your homeyour cooker will use upto … 80amps is the total amps coming into your homeyour cooker will use upto 30ampan 8kw shower will use 34amps (approx)then there is your heatingthen your general lighting other electrical goods (tv's etc)then you switch on your kettle and......................................................booooomb - blown fuse or potentially over heating the wiringSorry - I am not here to frighten you (or anyone else) - I have no actual electrical training except military trade training (ex Signals) and DIY / common sense skills learned over many years. I take in information and retain most...sadly! But given the basic experience/knowledge I am concerned and suggest you just challenge your energy provider with the questions1 - is my current meter "up to scratch" / safe ?2 - is my current 80amp sufficient for my home / energy consumption?If a "sparky" does turn up to check all - maybe you can sweet talk them into testing/checking your wiring for a "backhander" In regards to your E7 / heating / energy consumption - that would be down to your personal choice and your energy consumption - only by knowing what you have/use electrically and when you use it and your existing annual bills - will anybody be able to calculate which energy tariff is best suited.

it does sound scary , will ask for a new meter and see if is changable

i just noticed in the pictures there are two on pins but one off pin.

the time switch shows is 15.00 oclock ,the lower rate comes on from 23:30 to 7:00, am i reading it correctly ?

there is another on pin at 12:15 whats that for ?
    philphil61
    fanexgal

ok, thats scarit does sound scary , will ask for a new meter and see if … ok, thats scarit does sound scary , will ask for a new meter and see if is changable i just noticed in the pictures there are two on pins but one off pin.the time switch shows is 15.00 oclock ,the lower rate comes on from 23:30 to 7:00, am i reading it correctly ? there is another on pin at 12:15 whats that for ?

Please don't be scared - just use your common sense until it's checked out - maybe your are fine but I'm just giving my best advice

Regarding your meter and it's timer function - I don't know it so cannot give good advice

As I said - ask your energy provider to check the meter, check the rating, check what tariff you are on - is it the best they can offer? then shop around
    Anonymous User
    ricko

The picture indicates the time clock and is not a meter . These are the … The picture indicates the time clock and is not a meter . These are the old clocks . I had to get mine changed to a new digital one as it would slow down and end up 6 hours behind . My bills were £300 plus . The supplier at the time Npower didn't want to know and said I had to get my night storage heaters checked . I switched supplier and they changed to a new meter .

Correct, it is a timer, not a meter.

It looks to have been installed in 1985, so is well overdue for replacement / removal.
    Anonymous User
    The pointer at the bottom is the clock time - 15:00.
    If you took the picture at 00:15, the clock is fast by 14 hrs 45 minutes, or slow by 9 hrs 15 minutes - same thing. This is in your favour, because you are being charged the cheap rate for your daytime usage between 8:45 in the morning and 15:45 in the afternoon.
    I wouldn't mess with that, if I were you.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants