Sky Broadband To Introduce Lower Increases In April Than Other Providers

Posted 10th Feb 2023
A bit of good news I guess here (I mean it is still an increase, albeit a lower one)

Sky have announced they will be increasing their Sky Broadband, phone and pay TV services by "only" 8.1% come April, so customers of Sky will see only a slight increase on their monthly payments, this of course comes on the same day it is rumoured that the “Speed Guarantee” they attach to packages, and the WiFi guarantee that comes attached to their optional ‘Broadband Boost‘ add-on may be weakened soon, which means, Firstly, we’ve been informed that they could reduce the number of times customers can claim under their Speed Guarantee (within the minimum term) from twice to once.

Secondly, the WiFi guarantee under Broadband Boost will be softened, which in practice means that those who aren’t getting the target performance (i.e. at least 3Mbps to every room) will only have the right to exit the contract for boost free from early termination charges (i.e. instead of having a full refund for all subscription paid so far in the contract and the remainder free).

Above paragraph taken from ispreview

So giving with one hand, taking away with the other, note that the "weekend speed boost" is just a rumour so far

Full list below of the expected price increases

4084506_1.jpg
Virgin - Virgin Media have announced their increases for the April period, on Broadband, Tv, and phone, The changes “on average” are set to increase by 13.8% on either 1st April or 1st May 2023 (price changes will vary according to your package)

Vulnerable customers will not see their prices change in 2023, including those on their ‘Essential Broadband‘ social tariff(s) and ‘Talk Protected‘ landline customers

4084506_1.jpg
What Is the Consumer Price Index (CPI)?
The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is a measure that examines the weighted average of prices of a basket of consumer goods and services, such as transportation, food, and medical care. It is calculated by taking price changes for each item in the predetermined basket of goods and averaging them. Changes in the CPI are used to assess price changes associated with the cost of living

The CPI is one of the most frequently used statistics for identifying periods of inflation or deflation. It may be compared with the producer price index(PPI), which instead of considering prices paid by consumers looks at what businesses pay for inputs.

Some Direct links for categories
Pay Monthly
Mobile contracts
Broadband services
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    1spoon1
    Introduce lower increases is surely an oxymoron?
    TheOddDeal
    Take a hint people who are still on sky; it’s cheaper elsewhere. Stop renewing
    dave_gr
    Also possibly more reliable elsewhere. Sky has little redundancy in its network.
    Sam.19889
    Wish I could get a salary increase of only 8.1%
    Firehorns
    i hope people that never switch all move and this backfires
    turtles1
    Why?
    swafe
    I'll be leaving penalty free within contact and snaffling a decent new customer promotion elsewhere, cheers Sky...
    AndyRoyd
    Strange marketing:
    our current t&c doesn't have an annual CPI clause, so let's introduce one.
    Hilarious.

Edit: CPI ref removed from thread title. (edited)
    sm9690
    According to their t&c's, if sky increases their prices, then you can leave without penalty

(c) You can end this Contract without incurring early termination charges during your Minimum Term if:(i) Condition 6(c), 6(e), 9(b), 10(b) or 10(e) applies;(ii) we increase your Sky Broadband Payment, unless such increase arises under Condition 5(c);
    MrSwitch Author
    Yeah, within 30 days of receiving your email of change
    AndyRoyd
    @MrSwitch :
    does your source specifically mention introduction of CPI to Sky contract terms,
    or is the quoted 8.1% rise just another of Sky's periodic price increases, or similar?
    MrSwitch Author
    Just inline with the April increases, will reword the title (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants