Tips On Buying Second Hand Iphone 14 Pro. Ebay, Facebook etc.

Posted 25th Feb 2023
Im waiting on a good Iphone 14 Pro Deal, keeping an eye out on Hot of course and some comparison sites. If I were to consider buying the Phone second hand, what should I consider, do phones get banned often ie stolen or locked to Accounts, how can I check true battery life left + anything else I should consider ?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    KodaBear
    I would personally never buy a high value phone on these platforms from individual sellers. There’s too high of a chance of them getting blocked because they’re either stolen or attached to a contract that has went unpaid.

Stick to buying from companies for pre owned phones. Companies like CeX, Cash Converters, CGX, Cash Generator etc. As well as a warranty you have them to fall back on if it gets blocked later down the line.

Even better would be to pay on a credit card too, and then you have a second layer of defence to claim back on too.

If you REALLY want to risk buying from random folk on Facebook and such, the best advice would be to run the IMEI and Serial numbers through CheckMend. If there’s ANYTHING that shows up there, including an AssetWatch marker, walk away. Though unfortunately this doesn’t fully protect you against risks of them blocking it up to 6 months later. Just reduces the chances.
    sm9690
    Buy from a business seller on eBay with ‘0000s of feedback. Can get one for under £900 with the latest eBay 15% code
    PS5
    An iPhone 8 is a better than a blocked iPhone 14 (edited)
    jamie15
    There's always a chance of the phone being banned no matter where you buy it from if used. Retailers usually have warranties in place to cover this, and you can run IMEI checks yourself too but those results can change in future.

Buying from a private seller will probably be fine, but there's always the chance of being affected. You will get a cheaper price this way but with the added risk of less protection if anything goes wrong
    IAmATeaf
    Have you tried a avforums?
    howbord
    The fact you are having to ask these questions is the reason why you should stay away from private sellers no matter what platform they are on, no offence I would be exactly the same. Stick with a well known business seller, it may cost a bit more but its got to be better than being left with an iPhone paperweight. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants