Virgin Media Broadband - is it down for everyone?

Posted 4th Apr 2023
Since approx 1.30am not been able to connect to either Wired or Wireless. Rebooted, reset every router/mesh device and everything connected to the network.

Can't access any Virgin Media website or signal status pages either.

Son's mates all over the place gave up on their nightly online gaming sessions.

Gonna be a problem when the rest of the UK wake up and find they're gonna have to work from home via tethering from someone's mobile signal....
Community Updates
Dan_82
Major Network Outage Strikes Broadband ISP Virgin Media UK

Customers of broadband ISP Virgin Media (VMO2) are reporting a major UK network outage this morning (technically it’s been two outages), which has caused connectivity problems and appears to have disrupted their website and DNS servers too. Some reports indicate that their TV (IPTV), mobile and phone services have also been hit.

As usual in these situations, Virgin Media’s general Service Status page has gone offline with an error (this always happens with them, it’s a source of continued annoyance) and, at the time of writing, even their backup National Outage Page fails to load. Meanwhile, the operator has yet to post a status update to their social media channels, which is despite there being issues throughout the night.

According to Down Detector, the operator first suffered a large disruption to service just after 1am last night that trigged tens of thousands of complaints, but this appeared to have settled back down by around 4am. Unfortunately, the same thing happened again this morning at around 6:30am and has triggered a huge volume of complaints, which is most likely because more people are awake to experience it.

Source

There are also lotf of complaints on social channels like Twitter and Facebook
New Comment

Categories

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Whoohoo
    Woke up to WiFi working fine just now
    Whoohoo
    Ok maybe not seems to be in and out
    stedaman
    It's a nationwide outage, likely to be fixed before morning. (edited)
    Late
    ...likely to be fixed before morning

Mmm-hmm
    AndyRoyd
    I was going to post about this issue as well but I can't get online.
    Even the VM site is dead
    https://archive.is/pbZpD 
    Gollywood Author
    And these idiots want me to connect my landline to my router
    aLV426
    Sadly I didn't have a choice - I reported a landline fault and their "fix" was to move me from the "master socket" to the back of the router (something I previously refused as they wanted to charge me £30 for the privilege!)
    Time to switch providers me thinks!
    Gollywood Author
    Ok, someone texted me a link to Twitter where 'Virgin Media' is trending...

VM customers are definitely not happy. It's a nationwide outage.

I'm not happy either. (edited)
    The.Fat.Cat
    Was down for a while, back for me now.
    Gollywood Author
    Still down for me. Useless
    ZAnwar
    Strange. Mins seems to work fine.
    Gollywood Author
    Probably location dependant.
    festered
    Glad it's not just me, as I spent ages on the phone yesterday, started the day negotiating about the price rise and later complaining about an agent who lied and put me on a new Contract with a massive price increase without agreement! Then it's amazing they can send a new incorrect Contract instantly, but they cannot send a correction yet due to the system!
    Internet now back up at 06:00 for me.
    Swanny1965
    Yes it's out for me also.
    Toon_army
    Mines still down North East area.
    Woke up and couldn't access anything on my phone, switched to phone data and works, so turned the router on/off still nothing!
    Toon_army
    Update I'm back in action... for the moment
    Thank god we have phones to tether/hotspot our data
    Ibrahim_Hussain
    Still down at 8;15 am :-(
    Justintime12
    Streaming was working but couldn't access most websites at 7am which was very odd

Reboot of router and all good since
    B_Marvel
    Thought it was just me.

YouTube was working fine but nothing else.....
    bobdylan
    My 8yo was moaning the internet was down this morning so had to tether to my phone. Much as I hate Virgin, this is the 1st outage I can recall in the 18 or so months I've been with them and it was back by 8.30am this morning just before I had to log on to WFH
    newbie68
    Mine was out around 1am for 2 or 3 minutes just. Will consider myself lucky
    abigsmurf
    Weirdly considering I've have multiple instances of downtime lasting days at a time from Virgin, this didn't affect me.
    Gollywood Author
    A lot of VM customers would've slept through their latest meltdown
    aLV426
    Weirdly it knocked me off my online gaming session last night. I rebooted the hub and could watch YouTube videos without issue, but other sites timed out. I gave up just before 5 and went to bed expecting to wake up to an outage, however it appears to be behaving itself again. I had a few MiFi dongles to cover me, sadly it appears they have all since expired! Time to look for alternatives....
    aLV426
    Still not 100% for me - usually my ping is around the 30ms mark, something I have learnt to live with. Last night it managed to report 17ms, now it's reporting 122ms. YouTube works, however some sites fail to load and it reports they took to long to respond. Defo time to look for alternative ISPs as I have put up with their nonsense for far too long now (I refer to my 6 month outage last year)
    TobiRIP
    I had a few connection drops last night it was random
    sydney871
    It came back up at around 8:30 this morning and went down again at about 5 pm.
    aLV426
    49918051-CksLt.jpg
    Bit of a contrast there - still not back to the speeds I am paying for...
    flang
    Mines. Been Glitchy all day too but I wonder if its related to telephone migration as mine was due to be transferred today.
    Mark_Hickman
    Mine still not working at all
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants