Why have Aldi changed their toilet roll?

Posted 11th Feb 2023
I've been buying Aldi's huge pack of 3 ply toilet roll for some time - their Softest Premium one (blue bag), 24 rolls for £6.99 but they have changed it. It used to have a lovely buttery type of smell, but now it is floral and it smells horrible. It definitely does not smell floral - it smells more like cleaning solution/window cleaner! Also, it's supposed to be 3 ply. You used to be able to separate the 3 ply easily, now it is so compressed it looks like 1 ply - managed to get it separated and I think it is actually 2 ply, not 3 ply. I'm pretty sure somebody else mentioned that it had changed from 3 ply to 2 ply, but the bag still says 3 ply. The smell is horrible (way too chemically), so I am looking for suggestions for another brand of toilet roll - 3 ply and around the same price? Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    madoka_ayukawa
    Personally I don't look at the total price, but the price per roll
    winzzz
    I’ve been using the 3 Shell method for around 6 months now and I’ll never go back.
    Kammykay
    I don't know what what 3 sea shells mean
    Gruff__
    Nowadays I wipe my 4rse on red bills and bailiff letters.
    JRSC01
    And TV Licence demands or 'reminder' letters...
    Shue
    Aldi loo roll seems to change fairly regularly, we buy the 9 packs and every few months or so they seem different. My assumption is they just buy whatever is cheapest at an acceptable quality and repackage it.
    newbie68
    Has any one not changed their product over the last 24 months. I can remember every one of them being highlighted as changed at one time or another and not for the better. Its a game hard to keep up with
    jco83
    The price of butter has really gone up a lot
    wayners
    Best in order Imo and looking online over last few years.
    We buy a mix of.

Nicky Elite Toilet Roll 3 Ply Quilted
    Asda shades
    Tesco luxury soft toilet rolls.

Try for yourself (edited)
    Sam223
    Cushelle?
    jase.2
    Ring them up and ask them maybe?
    IAmATeaf
    We’ve been using the Costco 3 ply rolls, seem to be fav over the Asda Shades, Shades have definitely changed their formulation over the last year for the worse.
    Thetrout
    Get yourself a Bidet addon for your bog from Amazon, save a fortune and have a pristine clean botty for about £45 one off payment.
    weswart
    do you dry using your sleeve?
    Alexanderlocks
    Get what your saying about fragrances being too potent. All the people making jokes have probably lost their sense of smell or it doesn't bother them. Lidl do a pack of quilted with 16 rolls I can't remember the price though but the 9 roll pack is a decent price and quality so I can imagine the 16 roll being a relatively good price
    uni
    retailers just buy what suppliers offer them. they usually want what gives the best profit margin, so cheapest or whatever. the supplier maybe wanted to increase the price of what they sold before, so instead of paying more than they wanted, they got a different product instead
    samwants2save
    Bum showers for the win (ala Qatar type)! Just a need a coupla sheets to 'dry off', and jobs a good'un (edited)
    saadiya
    Or you just get a "lota" from the Muslim Asian shops 😜
's avatar
Top Merchants