Microsoft Defender or Windows Defender or Windows security

Posted 6th Apr 2023
OK, I'm going to need someone more techie than I am to explain this one if possible. This morning I restarted my PC and got a sign in prompt for 'Microsoft Defender'. Now as far as I can understand this isn't the normal 'Windows Defender', so I'm wondering;

Where it came from (I do have Office 365 if that is a contributor?)
Do I need it
Will I need to pay for it

In addition to this, I now have 'Windows Security', rather than 'Windows Defender'. Did I miss a name change and if so, do I still have the normal virus and threat protection?

Does anyone know the history of all this and why there's now more than one option?
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    guilbert53
    I am on Windows 10 and Office 365 and if I bring up my Windows menu (bottom left) it shows Microsoft Defender at the top as "Recently Added"

And if I scroll down the menu to the "M" section it shows "Microsoft Defender NEW"

And if you open the app, in the help" it says

"Getting started with Microsoft Defender
    Microsoft Defender is the simple way to protect your digital life and all of your devices. It's included as part of your Microsoft 365 Family, or Personal, subscription at no extra cost"

So this looks like it is a genuine update from Microsoft (edited)
    slimy31 Author
    Ah perfect, so it wasn't just something I missed, it was pushed as an update. Thank you for your help.
    Frankie77
    There is a Microsoft Defender that comes with a 365 subscription that is different from the free Windows Defender (security). Sounds like that, as it wouldn't prompt you as separate. Windows defender is more in the background related.
    AndyRoyd
    Good observation leading to sensible precaution to ask question.
    The likely critical component here is the "sign in prompt" where that prompt may be legitimate or nefarious by an attacker.

Your mention of 365 makes the "Defender" element plausible at current date in time:
    Microsoft Defender is the simple way to protect your digital life and all of your devices. It's included as part of your Microsoft 365 Family, or Personal, subscription at no extra cost.
    support.microsoft.com/en-…693

so the likely best question to seek answered is:
    is there a requirement to specifically sign in to the "Microsoft Defender" service when already signed-in to 365, and if so: what is the official way to sign in.
    slimy31 Author
    Thank you for the clear response, yes it was the 'sign in' prompt that I found most unusual. I've closed the window for now, it seems that Windows Security is still active so I'll leave it there.
    Byno
    A quick Google indicates the name change happened in 2020. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it, it's the first I've heard of it too and I've zero concerns. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants